Crispy Corn Tortillas
This takes a store bought item and turns it into something deliciously crispy, and yummy!
What you need:
- Small skillet
- Vegetable or Canola oil-1/2 cup
- Store bought corn tortillas-10 or 12 tortillas (preferably yellow corn, but works with white)
- Jorge's Habit Habanero Salt original or garlic-small pinch per tortilla
- Plate with paper towel placed on top (to place the tortillas when they are done cooking)
What you do:
- On medium to low heat oil in skillet until hot. Tip: to test if oil is ready, use tongs to hold a tortilla and only dip the very edge of the tortilla in the oil. When you see bubbling instantly the oil is hot enough to place one whole tortilla in the oil. If oil is popping it's too hot. Or if it is splattering it's too hot.
- Use tongs to apply pressure to "bubbles" or "air pockets" that form in the tortilla as it cooks. Small air pockets are good, you just don't want one big air pocked to form. Approximately 30 to 45 seconds per side depending on heat level and thickness of tortillas.
- Flip tortilla and repeat. You may decide to flip a couple of times.
- Tortillas are ready when they have a light golden color. If you prefer them to be extra crunchy then a darker golden color works. There will be color variations in the tortilla.
- Immediately after your tortilla is the desired color remove from oil and place on paper towel on plate. Add a pinch of Jorge's Habit NOW while it's still piping hot! The salt will stick if sprinkled when the tortillas are still hot. If you wait until they have cooled even a little the salt will not stick.
- Let cool, and Eat.
Do not leave tortillas in the oil unattended while stove is on. If you need to leave turn off the heat. Turn heat back on when you return.
These are so much better than store bought tostada shells. Once you have them this way you will never want to buy the pre-made tostada shells.
You can break them up into corn chips. Yummy!
Great for tostadas!
Sprinkle a little grated cheese and nuke for a few seconds until cheese is melted, add some of your favorite hot sauce. Great snack!